What is CLIMB-IT?
CLIMB-IT is a cycling elevation challenge. Climb the equivalent of Mount Kilimanjaro (5,895m) between 1st and 31st October. You can cycle when you want, outdoors or on your turbo trainer, Peloton or Zwift.
Everyone who signs up and raises £100 or more for WaterAid will be entered into a prize draw for one of 50 exclusive CLIMB-IT jerseys by AeroPro.
How do I take part?
Here’s how to take part in three simple steps:
- Sign up now to take part.
- Take on the challenge of climbing the equivalent of Kilimanjaro in October – that's an elevation of 5,895m (or 19,340 feet) in October.
- Use your fundraising page to raise funds for WaterAid and help the world's poorest communities deal with the effects of climate change. Raise £100 to be entered into our prize draw.
How do I sign up?
Join the Strava Challenge
Join us on Strava for the CLIMB-IT Strava Challenge throughout October. Track your rides, race up the leaderboards, give kudos and join the chat.
Do I have to cycle every single day?
Complete your CLIMB-IT challenge at a pace that suits you. You can reach your pledged elevation in as many or as few days as you like. The choice is all yours!
Does it matter what sort of bike I use?
No! The joy of this challenge is that you can take part on whatever sort of bike you like, wherever you like. This could be outdoors, at home or in the gym and could include a road bike, mountain bike, Zwift or other turbo trainer, Peloton, Wattbike or other exercise bike.
What if I miss the 1st October start date?
This is not a problem. The challenge is to climb the equivalent of Mount Kilimanjaro (5,895m) by the end of October, so you can start whenever you want in the month.
Can I do a different distance?
Yes, it’s flexible, if you’d like to aim for even higher than Kilimanjaro or only manage to just get halfway up the mountain, it is flexible.
Can I take part in a team?
Absolutely, the more the merrier! Taking part as a team is a great way to keep you motivated.Challenge your friends, family or colleagues to go that little bit further and see who will climb the furthest! Why not share a ride with your friends on Peloton as part of your CLIMB-IT challenge and compete with others?
Can I take part if I am under 18 years of age?
CLIMB-IT is open to anybody of any age. The only thing we ask you to consider is your level of fitness - whilst it's nice to challenge yourself, make sure you pledge a distance that's realistic too. If you're below the age of 18 please ensure a parent or legal guardian above 18 years old signs up on your behalf.
Can I take part if I am not in the UK?
As a global movement, we very much welcome participants from other countries. You can join the Strava challenge from anywhere in the world.
It's free to register, right?
Absolutely! It’s free to take part in CLIMB-IT, although we do ask everyone who signs up to fundraise or make a donation to WaterAid. Every little helps, and will bring us one step closer to making sure everyone, everywhere has clean water in a time of a changing climate.
How often should I cycle?
It's completely up to you how often you cycle to complete the elevation. However you decide to reach your elevation, if it’s across several days or weeks, just make sure you're being realistic for your level of fitness and stay safe!
When should I cycle?
We recommend you complete the challenge in as many or as few rides as you like during the month of October.
How can I keep track of how far I've climbed?
Here are a few ways you could keep track of your challenge:
- Join the Strava challenge on the Strava app to track your ride distances and to record your elevation. Join our Strava CLIMB-IT challenge to log your climbs and see if you can beat the rest of Team CLIMB-IT to the top of the leaderboard! The challenge is also a great way to meet and compete with fellow CLIMB-IT participants.
- If you use an indoor bike and track your elevation goal through Peloton or another indoor bike or app such as Zwift, you can also join the challenge and the Strava group.
- Make sure to share your progress with your friends and family!
What is Strava?
Strava is a fitness tracking app which can track and record your activity. Through joining the CLIMB-IT Strava challenge, your elevation activity will be recorded so you can log your elevation.
Can I use other fitness apps to track my elevation?
One of the best things about Strava is that it can connect to many other apps and devices to track your elevation. Firstly, choose your fitness app or device from the options below and connect it to Strava. Then follow the instructions above to log your elevation using Strava.
Who are AeroPro?
AEROPRO is a new aerodynamic cycling brand created for the serious cyclist. Their apparel is designed with speed and efficiency in mind - coupled with eco-conscious credentials and a big serving of style.
The AeroPro team have developed two exclusive cycling jerseys especially for the CLIMB-IT challenge:
- CLIMB-IT King/Queen of the Mountain Jersey - Our top 20 fundraisers will be rewarded royally with an exclusive King/Queen of the Mountain jersey - there are only 30 of these tops in existence!
- CLIMB-IT Jersey - Everyone who signs up and raises £100 or more for WaterAid will be entered into a prize draw for one of the 50 exclusive CLIMB-IT by AeroPro jerseys
How does the money I fundraise get to WaterAid?
Any donations that come through your CLIMB-IT fundraising page will automatically come through to WaterAid – that leaves you more time to focus on getting out there and reaching your elevation goal!
Can I pay in donations offline?
The easiest way to pay in donations is through your Just Giving fundraising page, however, you can send donations other ways if this is more convenient for you. If you prefer to make a donation you can go to: https://www.wateraid.org/uk/pay-in-your-fundraising
Please do tell us your donation is for the CLIMB-IT event.
How do I donate to WaterAid without a Just Giving page?
If you prefer to just make a donation rather than asking for sponsorship, please you can go to: https://www.wateraid.org/uk/pay-in-your-fundraising
Please do tell us your donation is for the CLIMB-IT event.
If I am registering from outside the UK, can I still fundraise in my own currency?
You can set up your page and fundraise in British Pound Sterling, Euros, US dollars, Canadian dollars and Australian dollars. JustGiving automatically convert this to British Pound Sterling on our behalf and your fundraising page will show this too.
How will my money be used?
The money you raise through CLIMB-IT will help bring clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene to thousands of people across the world. Even the smallest amount can make a huge difference to someone's life:
- £60 could help to run a period hygiene session for one class in East Africa.
- £72 could install a 1 km water pipe in Southern Africa.
- £144 could pay for labour in building a school toilet in Asia.
How does my money raised help communities affected by climate change?
Our changing climate is making life harder for the world’s poorest people already struggling to get clean water. The climate crisis is a water crisis. Through taking on the CLIMB-IT challenge you are helping us to act fast to reach the world’s poorest people with a reliable supply of water that keeps pumping through flood, drought and natural disaster.You can find out more about WaterAid’s work on climate change here: https://www.wateraid.org/uk/the-crisis/water/climate-change
What is JustGiving?
JustGiving is the world's most trusted platform for online giving. When you register for CLIMB-IT you will be creating a JustGiving account which powers your fundraising page. This profile page enables you to collect donations and track your fitness.
Giving.com trading as JustGiving is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under the Payment Service Regulations 2017. Registration number: 793668
What is Gift Aid and can my supporters add it to their donations?
Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows donors who are UK taxpayers to increase their donation by an extra 25% without any extra cost to themselves. Donors can add on Gift Aid by selecting the option as part of their donation process.
How do I get help with my CLIMB-IT fundraising page?
If you’re having problems with your page, don’t worry, just get in touch with the JustGiving support team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I win fundraising prizes?
- All participants will receive a virtual badge at the start, a virtual medal at the end, and by taking part in the Strava Challenge, you will earn a new virtual trophy for your trophy case.
- Everyone who signs up and raises £100 or more for WaterAid will be entered into a prize draw for one of the 50 exclusive CLIMB-IT by AeroPro jerseys.
- Our top 20 fundraisers will be rewarded royally with an exclusive King/Queen of the Mountain jersey - there are only 30 of these tops in existence!
- Please see our prize draw terms and conditions here.